Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Acoustic Ecology


What was so interesting to me about the Acoustic Ecology article was that while I read it my window was open and all I could hear were cars riding up and down the road.  It had never really occurred to me how much human interaction has interfered with the natural sounds of the world.  It is inspiring to know that some national parks are taking steps to limit this intrusion.  Taking sound a step further I think that the “noise” of life has detached us so far from our primal selves that we have lost who we are biologically.  We are not the hunter-gatherer type people anymore but slaves to the developing world around us.  When I was reading about the effects of underwater sounds on the wildlife it literally turned my stomach and made me wonder when is this going to stop?  When are we as humanity going to see that we are just running in circles and doing more damage than good?

No comments:

Post a Comment